Roller Derby: Philly Style

I'm simultaneously excited, horrified, and shocked to report this news: my kid sister has joined a roller derby league in Philadelphia. She's a newbie member of the Boardwalk Brawlers and, true to the sport's history (which I watched in awe as a child on the USA Network) she even had to come up with a skate name, preferably one that can intimidate.

Like me, she's a big fan of The Catcher in the Rye and decided on the skate-name J.D. Killinger because, as she says, Holden's little sister used to enjoy roller skating in Central Park.

If you've ever wondered what it would be like to go through try-outs and practice for the rather violent woman's sport of roller derby, you can check out my sister's blog.

I'm hoping she begins tagging the roller derby articles so they're easier to jump to (she's recently engaged and I suspect many future posts will be about wedding planning... a stark contrast to throwing elbows at other chick's windpipes!). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessica A. Walsh said...

I feel so famous! LOL. Thanks for the nod in my direction. I'll figure out how to tag my posts. Correction, it's the Shore Points Roller Derby League not the Philly league - that's the big leagues.