Olympic Peninsula Campout - Teaser

I spent the weekend on the Olympic Peninsula mountain biking with roughly a dozen members from the BBTC. I don't have time to unload all my photos off the camera and tidy up a report just yet -- my annual Tony Hawk videogame rush is on -- but I do want to post this one photo.

This is on the Gold Creek trail, near Sequim, in the Olympic National Forest. That's me clearing a monster blowdown blocking the trail. There were no logs on the up-trail side of it and we rolled the smaller ones you see up against it to decrease the odds of someone breaking their collar bone on the descent. I watched some of the veteran riders give it a few unsuccesful tries and finally figured that I might as well at least attempt it. Who would have thunk it, but I cleared it on my 2nd attempt.

The photo was taken by my friend Eric Floyd and although I love the shot, it's hard to get a feel for how big the log was. I'm 6 feet tall, and the log came up to my waist. The smaller log that my front wheel is about to hit is about 14" in diameter.

No, I had never attempted to just ride up and over something that large before. But there's even better shots than this coming in the next day or two, as soon as I find time to get them off my camera. Promise.


Yours truly on the Gold Creek trail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know how to get a hold of Eric? I was really hoping he might've gotten some shots of me at the Dash for Cash last weekend. Thanks! andy at nweurosport dawt com.