I Hate to Say I Told You So, But...

Gamestop sent out an email to folks who pre-ordered MGS4 for the PS3 saying that the game has been pushed back to 2008.

Read Joystiq's blurb here.

I've commented several times since the 2006 E3 that I sincerely doubted that MGS4 would release before 2008. It was apparent to me at the show last year when Sony released their pricing structure for the console that it would take a while before a critical mass of PS3 owners made it worth Konami's efforts to rush it, and then, even more clear when less important titles started citing the PS3's poor sales (and by poor, I mean disastrous) as a reason to let their games continue to bake.

By no means is an email from Gamestop to be taken as the rule of law, but it is the first shred of evidence to back up what I had thought was simple common sense all along. Microsoft is in a position to step on the throat of Sony this year, if only they would stop tripping over themselves with manufacturing defects and by actually, in-effect, raising the cost of the X360 with the "Elite" model and ridiculously priced hard-drives. A drop in the price of the X360 in time for Forza Motorsport 2 and Bioshock and Halo 3 wouldn't be the final nail in Sony's coffin, but it would have them halfway buried.

No comments: