Penny-Arcade Game, Initial Impressions

I was going to write something witty. I was going to try and be creative and really spend some time discussing the game and rattling off the reasons why I recommend it; after all, it's not everyday a game shows up on XBLA that costs $20 to download. But I just can't.

If you're a fan of Penny Arcade's comedic stylings, then stop reading and download the game at once. Or at least download the demo. If you're a fan of turn-based action games that are light on RPG elements, light on puzzle solving, and similarly light on variation, then you too should stop reading and download the game at once. However, if you're not a fan of PA's brand of humor, are easily offended, or only play games that make you feel "hardcore" then you should skip this one.

The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One is, for me, a thoroughly enjoyable, moderately simple game that is exactly the type of thing I like to curl up on the couch with at the end of the day. It's one part comic book, one part text-based adventure game, and one part action-strategy game. It's funny, it's smart, and damn if it isn't one of the best looking games out there. It's also rather addictive, despite it's repetitive and simplistic battle system. But like I was saying in the Assassin's Creed post, I don't mind the simple games in life. Not everything has to be an epic for me.And a game set in the 1920's with Tycho and Gabe in search of giant fruit-f'er robots does not an epic make. But it does provide a pretty damn good time.

I'm not done with Episode 1 yet, and I'm already anxiously awaiting the second installment.Kudos to Penny Arcade and Hothead Games for making a licensed game that, miraculously, doesn't suck.

No comments: