It's official, I'm definitely going to be skipping the Cascade Creampuff 100 this weekend in Oregon. A deadline for one of my current projects moved up by nearly a month and there's simply no way I can afford the 2-3 days of missed work this weekend. I also had to cancel the 3-4 day backpacking trip Kristin and I were planning for 4th of July weekend -- we were going to circumnavigate Mount St. Helens on the Loowit Trail.
I'm not complaining though. I wasn't too excited about the 2-lap format of this year's CCP (and may not have been able to finish it anyway) and these weekend getaways were starting to really add up monetarily being that gas is around $4.45 a gallon now. Sucks to lose the $246 entry fee, but being that my employer/publisher is also my racing sponsor, it was ultimately their money not mine that paid the fee. And I'm pretty darn sure they prefer to pay me for my writing than my racing ability. Yeah, there's no question about it.
So this means that my next race will likely be the GearJammer on 7/26 in Squamish. I might decide to drop in on one of the Indie Series races in early July if I can squeeze in a nearby one, otherwise most of my July weekends will be spent staring at a monitor.
At least I had the entire month of May off. Of course, I was sick and it rained the entire time, but I did have it off!