Into the Wild

Not sure how I didn't know about this, but my sister Jessica emailed me word that "Into the Wild", my favorite book by Jon Krakauer, will be releasing in theatres this fall. The movie, based on a true story, is directed by Sean Penn and stars Emile Hirsch as Christopher McCandless as a young twenty-something from a priviliged Baltimore-area family who sets out to live a life of adventure, free of material things, and eventually finds his way into the Alaska bush. Vince Vaughn plays the role of Wayne Westerberg, a man Chris befriends along the way who, if I remember correctly, also hires Chris to work his ranch.

Here's a link to the hi-res trailer at IGN.com.

There's still plenty of time to read the book first if you haven't already and I definitely recommend doing so. It's not a long book by any means, but it's definitely a gripping page-turner, especially if you enjoy the outdoors, adventure, and ever dreamed of just throwing it all away and taking off with nothing but a rucksack and the clothes on your back.

Here's the link to the Barnes & Noble page for the book.

Thanks for the heads up, Jess.

1 comment:

NobbyNick said...

Wow. This is one of my top 5 books as well. I can't help but wonder what Chris would think though. I have mixed emotions about seeing it.

I picked up "River of Doubt" on your recommendation and thought it was very excellent. Just finished "Lost in the Amazon" which was not nearly as good, but interesting to see the changes and lack there of 100 years later.

Cheers!