San Juan Island

Went out to San Juan Island last week with Kristin and her parents who were visiting from NJ. Didn't bring my 20D, but I did have my point-and-shoot with me and got a couple shots I like which you can see below. We spent Friday browsing the shops and galleries in Friday Harbor then did a driving tour around the island to see the American and English Camps from the "Pig War", an alpaca farm, and a vineyard. The islands are definitely more fun with a bike or kayak in tow, but it was a nice way to spend the day nonetheless.

Had dinner at Vinny's in Friday Harbor -- a very good Italian place two blocks from the ferry landing -- and stayed at Harrison House, a B&B with suites instead of singular bedrooms. All in all it was a good trip. We were going to head to Orcas Island on Saturday but the snow was already starting to fall and with zero chance of enjoyable views from atop Mt. Constitution, it really wouldn't have been worth the separate ferry trip. So we took the 11:10 ferry back over to Anacortes and promptly drove to the Skagit River Brewery in Mount Vernon for lunch. I'm not sure how it happened, but I somehow managed to steer us to three different breweries in three days for lunch. Fortunately, the food was very good at all three spots and none of the non-beer drinkers staged a mutiny against my plans. Although I must say that I could do without another pint of the "Watermelon Pislner" at the San Juan Brewery. Everytime I order something different, I'm left wishing I hand't. Oh well...

Here are the photos. Click to see a larger version at my Flickr site. I'll probably add a couple more later, but these are my favorites.

Kristin_LimeKilnLighthouse

Kristin at Lime Kiln Lighthouse.


TreeSunlight

Tree at sunset at English Camp.

No comments: