Breaking News: Caroline Has Been ID'd

Neil Diamond has revealed the inspiration for his hit song "Sweet Caroline" to be none other than President Kennedy's daughter, Caroline, who was ten at the time. Take that Republicans!

Anyway, I'm really glad that's over. I don't know about you, but the suspense was killing me. Thank you Yahoo for getting to the bottom of this mystery.

But I can't help but think that if a grown man wrote a song about a ten-year old girl today (the President's daughter, no less), he'd have cameras shoved in his face and forced to tell Chris Hansen whether or not he owns any duct tape. Fortunately for Diamond, that wasn't the case. According to the article on Yahoo, he simply had seen a photo of her in a magazine and was inspired. So inspired that he decided to write a song about her... several years later.

When something takes years to manifest into anything, is "inspired" really the right word? But he wrote the song in under an hour. Several years... and an hour. I'm confused.

One thing I would like to clarify though is that the song is not still popular because of the Boston Red Sox. The song has always been a popular sing-along song in frat-houses and karaoke bars and, if anything in popular culture should be credited for making it moreso it's the movie Beautiful Girls. And I'm not just saying that because it's one of my favorite movies. Enjoy.

No comments: