A Perfect Morning

Barring exotic plans, I'm not a morning person. It's been well over 5 years since I've worked outside the home and during that time I have completely forgotten what it's like to be among the masses who are not only awake, but out the door before 7 o'clock in the morning. I'm more apt to stay up till 7 than I am to wake up by then. My brain hurts just thinking of what Kristin endures each morning, waking at 5:30. For crying out loud, the sun isn't even up yet!

But today, I did something different. Despite working through the night, almost long enough to hear Kristin's alarm clock ring, I got out of bed at 6:30, quickly showered and shaved, and walked to the coffee shop several blocks away. The sights I saw...

People walking their dogs. People jogging. The sun rising over the mountains to the east and painting the sky pink and gold. Who knew sunrises could be so beautiful? Not me, obviously.

I felt the autumn breeze blow through my hair and beneath the collar of my fleece pullover. I strolled silently along the sidewalk listening to the faint noise of distant leaves tumbling down the road. I breathed deeply, took it in, and awakened.

My venti americano was almost too hot to carry the half-mile back to my house and I had to switch hands often, despite the corrugated protective huggy designed to insulate my hands from the espresso's heat. But I didn't mind. I arrived home and cracked the windows to let the fresh air in. I sipped my coffee, cracked two eggs, and cooked some bacon.

And I sat and smiled, knowing that I was exhausted but that I was well-fed, well-caffeinated, and awake. And, even more important to my overall health, that I've already seen a splendid sight -- a colorful sunrise cast above silhouetted mountain tops. A sight I could see from my bedroom window, but was made all the better by simply taking a walk.

Today will be a good day.

No comments: