The Sundowner

I finished my second guidebook of the year earlier this week and I think my sleep cycle may be permanently thrown out of whack. We learned the Tuesday following the Super Bowl that the videogame in question would be releasing earlier than we expected so everyone working on the project -- namely myself, my editor, and the book designer -- would have to really step it up if we're to ship the book on time. After all, when it comes to videogame strategy guides, it's all but essential to ship the book day-and-date with the game if not a day or two early (I shudder to think how much money Prima had lost when their guidebook for Gran Turismo 4 didn't ship until over a month after the game's release).

It's not unheard of for a game's release date to get bumped up a week or so, but an added wrinkle in this particular project was that in addition to writing the text I was also illustrating the maps as well. Now, in all due fairness to true illustrators and graphic designers, I use the term illustrating rather loosely here. But nevertheless, I did produce roughly 40 two-dimensional maps for the book. And that takes time. I also, in the first 20 days of February, wrote 345 pages of copy. Much of it walkthrough text, but also a tediously-assembled 87 page chapter consisting of nothing but weapons descriptions and leveling data. Throw in the time spent playing the game, capturing and renaming close to 1,000 screenshots, and placing callouts on the maps and you're basically left with very little time for sleep. And please note that I don't throw these numbers at you to brag, but rather so you understand--it's very easy to think of my job as one that doesn't really take much effort so excuse me if I throw the truth of the matter out there every now and then. I digress...

This brings me to the point of this post and the reason why instead of lying in bed next to my wonderful wife, I'm sitting here typing at 3:40 am. I can't sleep. Now, I'm fully aware that it takes time to return to one's normal sleeping habits after working until nealy 4am every night for over 2 straight weeks (and waking at 9am), but here's the part that has me concerned: I should be exhausted. I jumped back into training late last week and just yesterday went mountain biking in the afternoon and then, two hours later, went snowboarding with Kristin when she got home from work. And if the physical exertion shouldn't have tired me out the two pints of Snoqualmie Spring Fever ale should have.

And I was. We got home around ten, showered, played with the dogs a little, and went to bed. And I was out cold by midnight. Until I wasn't. I tossed and turned and finally... here I am. And there's no reason for it. There's nothing on my mind; I have no worries or concerns (lucky me, I know); the wind isn't particularly bothersome tonight; and I'm not anxiously awaiting something in the morning. Instead, I'm afraid that I simply cannot sleep at night anymore.

And instead of sleeping, I'm sitting here writing excruciatingly boring columns about not sleeping.

...a yawn...

...another yawn...

...three yawns and I'm out...

Thankfully.

No comments: