Fantasy Football Draft 2007

After a year off from Fantasy Football in which Kristin and I had little reason to watch non-Seahawks games, we are back in for another go around. For some reason my friends all decided to not do it last year and, like us, really, really missed it. I think what we really missed was the weekly excuse to tell one another to "suck it" via the league message boards, but that's really besides the point. So the draft was today. It's a 12-team head-to-head league with pretty standard scoring and team composition. You're allowed to start the following: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF and then there's room for another 6 players on your bench.

I picked 11th out of the twelve teams. Here's my draft results:

1. Reggie Bush, RB, Saints
2. Willis McGahee, RB, Ravens
3. Torry Holt, WR, Rams
4. Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Seahawks
5. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
6. Todd Heap, TE, Ravens
7. LaDell Betts, RB, Redskins
8. Pittsburgh, DEF, Steelers
9. Donte Stallworth, WR, Patriots
10. Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos
11. D.J. Hackett, WR, Seahawks
12. Devin Hester, WR, Bears
13. Olindo Mare, K, Saints
14. Justin Fargas, RB, Raiders
15. Seneca Wallace, QB, Seahawks

The last two picks were throw-away picks as the draft had gone on for three hours and I was simply just picking names off the top of my head (or bottom of the cheat-sheet in Fargas' case) to keep things moving along. I'm really excited about my running back selections and although I am relying a bit Holt and Hasselbeck to have bounce-back seasons, I think they've still got some good seasons in them. Oh, and speaking of the Rams receive corps, I just dropped Fargas and picked up Drew Bennet, assuming he clears waivers on the 5th.

The only thing that really irked me was that I took LaDell Betts with my 7th pick. I was going to take the Chargers Defense in the 7th round, but figured that since we were on the come-back with the serpentine draft and my next pick was only two picks away, that I would get the Chargers then. No. I actually track how many players from each position other people draft and had I have looked at my own grid sheet, I would have seen that the guy picking after me (for two picks) already had 3 RB's but no Defense. Obviously the odds of him taking the Chargers Defense were much greater than him taking Betts, but I ignored my own tracking sheet and chose Betts.

I still got a pretty good Defense in Pittsburgh, but it's bad enough I have to root for Hines Ward and now having to actually hope Pittsburgh keeps opponents under 10 points a game is going to really irk me. Yes, I'm still bitter about the Super Bowl. Not to mention just have a real distaste for Steelers fans.

No comments: