The Safety Wasn't On

From today's Seattle Times:

Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis was recovering at a Dallas hospital after he was shot twice while driving along Interstate 635 early Sunday morning.

Police said Davis, 27, was driving at about 5 a.m. when a dark-colored vehicle with tinted windows pulled alongside his Chevrolet Impala and someone in that vehicle shot at him and his passenger several times.

Davis was struck in the back of the head and in his right thigh but was able to pull his car over to the side of the road, police said. His passenger's name was not released.

Davis is expected to have surgery. Police said he was in stable condition and his injuries are not considered life-threatening.

As Davis leaned forward in the hospital to touch the bullet in his thigh, he revealed a blood-stained pillow.

"My head has been leaking, but that's OK," he said. "I've got a big head and my braids still look good."

Curtis Stephens, Davis' agent, said his client will be going home in a day or two and added, "From my brief discussions with the doctors, Keith will be able to play football soon."

Dallas police spokesman Lt. Rick Watson said, "We are trying to develop why this happened."

Watson said while police are still working on a motive and suspects, they believe one possibility is that the incident was an attempted carjacking.


It's good to hear that he's going to be alright and will likely play this season.

But there are just too many puzzling aspects to this case that bother me. No, I don't care that he was out driving around at 5am. And I really don't echo his sentiments over his braids still looking good -- although it is nice that his head didn't "leak" into the weave. What I really want to know is why the hell is this guy driving a Chevy Impala? Have you seen those things? This guy makes, what, 10? 20? 30 times as much money as I do and I wouldn't be seen test-driving one. And even more mind-boggling is that somebody was trying to carjack the Impala? Never mind the professional football player driving the thing, but someone was willing to kill another human being over an Impala. I used to think killing someone for a pair of Air Jordans was as low as humanity can go, but this takes the cake.

A Chevy? Impala? Are you kidding me?

No comments: