44,117 Times a Day

That's how many times a day someone has gone into a store and purchased Gears of War since its release on November 12, 2006. Sixty eight days and over three million copies sold. Despite being released just six weeks shy of the end of the year it was the third best selling game of the year and the new multiplayer maps that were made available last week have already seen over 750,000 downloads.

You can read the rest of the fun stats here.

Personally, I'm taking a break from playing Gears of War. It's rare I play any game that I write the guidebook for, let alone continue playing it months after I buy it. With Gears, I bought it a week or so after it released, played through the main campaign on hardcore mode, played some co-op, played the multiplayer a few hours a day for a month or so and then shelved it. The multiplayer is a lot of fun, but there's just too much other stuff out there that calls to me right now. Gears is the type of game that fans will play for hours a day every day until Halo 3 releases, then they'll play that every day until Gears of War 2 comes out in, what my guess would be 2008. And the cycle will continue. Having seen firsthand how hard the folks at Epic were working on this game, it's good to see the game selling as well as it is. They deserve it.

No comments: