Sold Out Software

And here I bring you unrelated news concerning my closet-cleaning Friday afternoon. This post is about PC games. How do these two seemingly disparate topics are actually linked in a cause-effect relationship that, for an added bonus, seems to feature a pleasant level of symbiosis as well. Well, at least as far as providing me with writing material is concerned.

First, I should point out that the only reason I was cleaning my office closet on Friday was because I actually wanted to finally really sit down and play the game F.E.A.R., but I was presented with a 256 megabyte update to the game upon logging in. So I began the download and, while wondering how to busy myself, I began cleaning my closet. People often complain about this aspect of PC gaming commonly known as "patching" but for once I want to thank it. Usually playing games is how I procrastinate. On Friday, however, wanting to play a game actually helped give me time to get something done. Weird, huh?

So then comes the rounding of the turn and bringing this conversation full circle and back to the initial topic -- sold out software. While checking the contents of various cardboard boxes I came across the copy of Anachronox that I purchased online a couple years ago. Anachronox is a role-playing game for the PC, developed by Ion Storm, and promises a nice meld of western and eastern RPG styles of gameplay. I'm writing about this now because I obtained the game for $4.99 and I'm going to tell you how you can too.

If there's an older game out there that you hoped to purchase one day, but it's now out of print, you need to check out Sold-Out Software. It's a company in the UK that specializes in selling many of the bargain-bin gems for $4.99 (pounds). They don't have everything and they certainly don't stock some of the older hard-to-find classics like Grim Fandango, but they have a decent selection and a great price. I'll be ordering American McGee's Alice from them soon and maybe one of the older Thief titles as well.

Here's the link: http://www.sold-out.co.uk/soldout/index.html

No comments: